Saturday, December 3, 2011

Safety Is of the Lord


  1. What were the most important things I learned from the readings?
    1. I didn't really realize how many adolescents were so invested in their social personas. I grew up without any of that, not because it didn't exist, but because my parents had us so involved in other extracurricular activities we didn't have time to even want to do it. It wasn't until my Senior year when I realized I was being excluded from cast parties because people only sent invites through Facebook that I finally got on Facebook and began social networking. What I've learned is that the generation below me is growing up totally connected to the internet. A few have separate identities online but many use it as a complete extension of their life. It's a way for them to grow up. Teachers need to use this extension of their lives to their benefit. We want students to relate to the material outside of the classroom so use the very media that they do when outside the classroom.
  2. How will what I have read influence my actions as a parent and/or teacher of children and youth?
    1. As a parent, I think that the best way to keep children in healthy online relationships is to teach them good social skills. If children are taught to be completely kind then they won't cyberbully. If they have a full life outside the internet, they won't need to create one online. If we let them use the technology instead of wanting passwords and needing to look over their shoulder they'll trust us. 
    2. As a teacher, I think that it would be worth a part of the first day to introduce the technology I want to use in my classroom AND discuss internet safety. They need to know what they should and should not post and they need to know some of the dangers. The thing is, most of them know it already, so I wouldn't exaggerate or spend too much time on it. Then as I use the technology I can monitor habits of my students at perhaps see if any of them are using habits that wouldn't be safe outside of the classroom.
  3. How can I use what I have learned from the reading to have a positive influence on family and friends?
    1. I think my family already has pretty good safety habits but I think that since my brother is younger my parents need to realize that he eliminating his online life is a stupid idea BUT that he does need time limited and needs to have a fun outside of gaming.
  4. Am I aware of the benefits and dangers children face when online with cyber bullying and online predators? Do I know how to prevent cyberbullying?
    1. Yes, I am aware. More aware now than I was. I knew that it happened and I vaguely had heard of the problems but I didn't realize all the trouble adolescents can get into online.
    2. Cyberbullying can be partially prevented by monitoring what children can post and do online. It CANNOT be prevented with hostility. The best thing to do is to teach children to not respond, close the window, and tell people then report the bullying to authorities with proper documentation.
  5. Where can I go for information and resources that can be used to teach internet safety?
    1. Well I went to your resources but even if you just google internet safety you'll find things. For instance: http://safekids.com/quiz/ and http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/landingpages/quiz_kids.asp.
  6. What internet safety issues am I likely to face as a teacher and how will I address them?
    1. Posting information that can lead people that they don't want 
      1. Have a set of rules of what they can and cannot post
      2. Make sure I don't require them to post things that aren't safe
    2. Students searching for things and coming across an inappropriate website.
      1. I can double check all my of resources and links 
      2. I can make sure that the school has a blocking system
      3. I can teach students what to do to get out of inappropriate or otherwise bad website
    3. Having student report cyberbullying to me
      1. Teach them what to do 
      2. Report it to a higher authority and perhaps parents
  7. How can I leverage the power of the Internet so students can learn, but in a safe way?
    1. Like we've discussed in this class, there are all kinds of opportunities to utilize technology. Assignments can include things like videos, podcasts, blogs, and polls. Also in class we can use things like class websites, iPads, and science probes to apply to the skills they're developing and relate our material to what the love to be involved in. 
Who did I talk to? 
          My father

What was it like?
           It was a good conversation! He knew things and had ideas I hadn't thought of. He's always been really easy to talk to and I'm pretty sure I learned more than he did. It was a very positive and experience but I don't know how valuable it was because he already knew most of the stuff and anyone else I would have taught it to would have known it as well. The truth is most people are pretty informed about this stuff already. I feel like it's a bigger worry that teachers and parents in an exaggerated effort to protect their children they'll try to alienate their children from the internet which would only leave them unprepared for the world they live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment