Saturday, November 12, 2011

To Exercise Control or Dominion or Compulsion

So Join.me was interesting but not my favorite technology. It's cool because it's free but there are better screen sharing options. This one was difficult to use once you downloaded the actual application but the free temporary use found on the website is fun. I think this would be a really good technology for a technology teacher but I'm struggling to see how a biology teacher would use it unless it was just to give directions for a class technology (thus the reason he didn't list it under Science . . . now I understand.)


  • What did you learn about Join.me?
    • Join.me is an easy way to do a demonstration on several computers at the same time. By having multiple people type in the code given, they can view your computer at the same time and email, call, or chat with the person controlling the computer at the same time. 
  • What are some activities you could use this technology for in your own teaching?
    • The best way to use this would be to demonstrate how to use some technology for your class. For a short period of time you can share your computer to all the students in the classroom and they can ask you questions if they don't understand.
    • Perhaps this could be used for some online classes as well. 
  • What are some problems you foresee in using this technology?
    • I'm afraid that some students would try to abuse the chat, call, and email functions and there is no way to limit their access. This could really cause problems if classroom management isn't established really well.
The photo below shows how I controlled my own computer from a friend's. The message in the center is Join.me's notice that my computer was being remote controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment