Monday, October 10, 2011

Turn Every Man From His Evil Way

This post is all about copyright - something I've never honestly worried too much about before. It's been interesting to learn all the rules.

I know that this can't possibly count for one of my assignment videos since it was shown in class, but I think it needs to be posted here anyway since it's so very funny, informative, and well done.


Created by Professor Eric Faden of Bucknell University

The following clip on DNA replication did some things right and other things wrong. I highly doubt they acquired this clip legitimately but they did only use one minute of whatever video it came from. They did tell all of their watchers who the video was made by (in the title no less) but didn't give us any more information for finding it ourselves. 


The following clip is basically an attempt by someone to get the whole Bill Nye episode on Youtube, which I'm fairly certain is not appropriate. It's apparently Disney which kinda explains why it's so difficult to get the full Bill Nye episodes now. It's thirteen minutes long, doesn't tell us where exactly to find it for ourselves (although I'm sure we can figure out a good google search), and does effect Disney's ability to make money. See if the whole episode is on Youtube, then I have no need to go buy the Earthquake movie. 


So I may not have done this completely right, but at least I attempted. I've learned more about copyright, but if there's one thing I've learned - it's that very few things actually follow proper copyright. (And copyright is more difficult than I thought it was.) If anyone who reads this feels like commenting on other things the people did wrong and right, please go for it! 


1 comment:

  1. Good job!

    You seem to have a good sense of the need to cite, and the need to ask for permission, too. Those are the basic things about copyright law. As teachers, we get a little more leeway in the classroom, and of course, parody is permitted, but you are right. Most people break this law on youtube when they share things that are not their own!

    ReplyDelete